Fractionated CO2 Applications
Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing is the gold standard for rejuvenation of aged and damaged skin. The laser’s intense light beam safely penetrates the skin down to the dermis to rejuvenate aging and damaged skin without invasive surgery.
How does skin age?
Collagen is the substance that gives the skin strength and elasticity and plumps the skin, keeping it tight and smooth. After age 20, we produce about 1% less collagen every year which leads to thinner and more fragile skin and wrinkling.
In addition to aging, years of sun exposure and environmental damage accelerate collagen loss and cause the skin to take on a rough texture and discolorations like sun and age spots and freckles form. Sun damage can cause skin cancer and precancerous lesions called actinic keratoses which are scaly, crusty growths. Factional CO2 laser treatment can help to rebuild collagen and remove discolorations, lines and wrinkles, and improve the tone and texture of the skin.
How does the fractional CO2 laser work?
The fractional CO2 laser breaks up the laser bean into microscopic beams of laser energy to create tiny holes in the skin that go down to the dermis where collagen is made. The laser energy stimulates the production of new collagen. As your body generates new collagen, deep lines and wrinkles smooth out, and the skin tightens. The old damaged skin is vaporized, and healthy new skin replaces the damaged skin damage as you heal. This refines the skin’s texture, further smooths line and wrinkles, eliminates sun damage, discolorations, scarring and even precancerous lesions on the face, neck and chest, arms and hands. Treatment is fully customizable to your needs.
Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing is available to treat:
- Acne Scarring: Acne scarring is permanent damage to the deep layers of skin and changes the texture of the skin. Fractional CO2 treatment generates new collagen to smooth acne scars. Discolorations may fade with time but can become permanent, and can be removed with this treatment.
- Surgical and traumatic scars: These scars can be disfiguring and may restrict normal movement of the skin. When the skin is injured the body tries to fix it with collagen. Treatment can improve the appearance of these scars through formation of new collagen and new healthy skin.
- Sun Damage on the face, neck, chest, arms and hands: Fractional CO2 treatment can treat photodamage and pigment changes improving texture and tone, and eliminating age spots, pigmented spots and liver spots also called lentigines (small brown patches on the skin) caused by sun damage.
- Around the eyes: Resurfacing can refresh and rejuvenate the eyelids, erase upper and lower eyelid wrinkles and crepiness, and lift droopy upper eyelids.
- Around the mouth: Smoker’s lines, pucker marks and wrinkles around the mouth can be softened and smoothed.
- Face and neck: Deep wrinkles, crosshatching on the cheeks, dullness, roughness, leathery skin, and discolorations can all be removed.
- Many types of skin lesions can be removed with fractional CO2 treatment. Treatment is safe and effective to remove moles, seborrheic keratosis (common noncancerous skin growths that appear as brown, black and tan growths on the face, chest, neck that may be mistaken for a wart or mole), actinic keratoses (Precancerous scaly, crusty growths caused by sun damage), skin tags (harmless skin growths that appear on the eyelids, and other areas), and warts.
However, this laser cannot treat dilated blood vessels and red splotchy neck discoloration.
Moy, Fincher and Chipps is the leading cosmetic surgery practice in Beverly Hills, Encino and Torrance. They have a variety of lasers that target the hallmarks of aging and sun damage. Schedule an appointment to discuss your concerns. Our board-certified dermatologists and dermatologic surgeons are dedicated to personalized patient care. They will create a customized anti-aging program for you employing the fractional CO2 laser and other advanced laser technologies to restore and rejuvenate your appearance.